Wednesday, December 08, 2004

A small rant

I cannot believe I am sitting at work running a restore on an Ingres database because the suplliers of our software do not use version controls/cannot design software to save their life/do not have a clue about release schedules.
Seriously, we are approaching the most impartant time of the year and they send us a major upgrade, if we don't do this, we don't get to have minor bug fixes. It is insane. Each time we do this I have to change the back end structures and as we use slightly different database rules and procedures to them it is possible for me to screw the entire thing up if I follow their instructions to the letter.
It isn't made any easier by the fact that we have eleven databases, all of which need to be updated in the same way and some processes I need to create a script, edit the script and execute the script seperately for each database.
All this due to crap database design and crap software design.
Remind me again why this situation isn't considered a threat to our core business?
Thanks for listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home