Tuesday, January 18, 2005

No worries, I'm back!

Today's topic:
Adelaide Drivers
I have had a car park in Adelaide for three days now, so I am driving to work again. Yeah! Unfortunatly this brings me up against Adelaide drivers. Now amongst my social group I am considered to be a very good driver, considerate, calm, law abiding etc. I've driven around the UK, the US, NZ and a large part of Australia so I have been exposed to a number of styles and I know my driving to be average at best; but compared to Adelaide driver I am a smegging genius. I worked with someone who got their license in Norway. There they tale you out onto an ice sheet make you drive and the instructor slams the hand brake on with no warning. If you loose control you do not pass.

For any one from overseas wanting to drive in Adelaide remember we have slightly modified rules:

  • Give way rules apply to others.

  • Yellow lights tell you that you might have time to get through.

  • When traffic light turn red, you have two to three seconds to fly through them.

  • You can turn right against a red light if you have waited long enough for your turn.(We drive on the left here)

  • Indicators are there to tell people that you are about to hit them.

  • If you car can do 80km/h then that is the speed limit in a 50 zone.

  • It is perfectly ok to fly passed someone doing 20km/h over the speed limit if you are then going to have to do 20km/h below the speed limit in front of them.


I would love to get half of Adelaide to drive in LA or New York or Minneapolis or anyone of dozens of US cities I've driven in.

  • If you jump a red light there you hit someone.

  • If you change lanes without indicating you hit someone.

  • If someone indicate that they want your lane and you ignore it, you hit someone.

  • If you slow down to merge on an interstate, you hit someone.

  • If you are in the least bit timid, you hit someone.

  • If you are too aggressive, you hit some one.

  • If you don't give way, you hit someone.

  • If you are not alert, you hit someone.


And the clincher:

  • If you hit someone in LA they might pull a gun.


Remember these people are not bad drivers they are very good drivers, they assume you know what you are doing. Most people in Adelaide do not.

You have to drive properly there. And in the UK, and in Melbourne and Sydney and Brisbane. Canberra not so much and NZ there is no one on the road with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home